BCA Rescue Network Adoption Contract
Note: This does not constitute a valid contract as displayed here, but must be read and understood before an adoption application is completed.
The Bulldog Club of America Rescue Network, Inc. (BCARN) is a non-profit organization approved by the IRS for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status. BCARN volunteers provide foster care for homeless Bulldogs, place Bulldogs in new homes, and provide education and counseling for Bulldog owners and adopters. In this role, BCARN has made available a Bulldog to the person(s) referred to below as Adopter, for the furtherance of its mission and the benefit of the Bulldog.
The Adopter desires to adopt the dog described above and therefore agrees to this Contract, also for the benefit of the Bulldog, and in expectation of the joy and companionship to be provided by the dog.
Therefore, this contract is made between the BCA Rescue Network (BCARN) as represented by the BCARN-authorized Volunteer ______________________________________________________
and the Adopter_____________________________________(“Adopter”), on behalf of the Bulldog _______________________________ (“Bulldog”). If “Adopter” means more than one person, then all persons will have full responsibility for this contract’s duties.
Duties of the Adopter
The Adopter agrees to the following:
Duties of BCARN and its Volunteers:
- The Adopter will provide proper food, fresh water, and physical and emotional care of the Bulldog. The Adopter will supply housing within the home because a Bulldog cannot be considered a kennel dog or outdoor dog.
- Veterinary care: The Adopter will take the Bulldog to annual veterinarian checkups.
- The Adopter will keep the Bulldog up to date on all vaccines and annually have the Bulldog checked by a veterinarian. The Bulldog will be kept on monthly heartworm preventative in areas of the country where heartworm is prevalent, and on a flea/tick program, as recommended by the veterinarian. If the Bulldog ever tests positive for heartworm, proper heartworm treatment will be performed immediately at the expense of the Adopter.
- The Adopter is responsible for any and all veterinarian bills incurred for the life of this Bulldog. The Adopter agrees to supply the name and contact information for the Bulldog’s veterinarian to the BCARN Volunteer. BCARN reserves the right to verify care by contacting the Adopter’s veterinarian. If the Bulldog’s health care is not kept up to date, BCARN reserves the right to reclaim the Bulldog.
- The Adopter agrees to comply with all state and local laws related to keeping the Bulldog including leash laws, licensing, and proper use of identifying tags. The Adopter will never chain or tether the Bulldog.
- The Adopter agrees to keep BCARN informed of any address, phone or email changes. The Adopter agrees to allow a BCARN volunteer to inspect the Adopter’s dwelling with one day (24 hours) notice.
- The Adopter understands that this placement is for a “forever home.” This Bulldog will NEVER be sold, given away, abandoned or surrendered to a shelter or another rescue group. The Adopter will immediately notify BCARN if the Bulldog is lost or stolen.
- The Adopter agrees to return the Bulldog to a BCARN-authorized volunteer if for any reason or no reason the Adopter cannot keep the Bulldog.
- The Adopter agrees to permit a BCARN Volunteer to observe the premises where the Bulldog is or will be living upon one day (24 hours) notice. The BCARN Volunteer may claim and remove the Bulldog at that time if, in the opinion of the BCARN Volunteer, the Bulldog is in ill health caused by neglect or shows signs of abuse. As stated in this contract, no compensation will be payable to the Adopter.
- BCARN will not place through rescue a Bulldog with a known history of biting people. Nonetheless, the Adopter understands that any animal may bite if provoked. The Adopter will use due care, caution and sound judgment when allowing people or other pets near this Bulldog. The Adopter will never allow anyone to abuse the Bulldog; this includes (but is not limited to) to hit, threaten, poke, squeeze, sit or step on, or pose a threat to this Bulldog.
- The Adopter agrees to notify the BCARN-authorized Volunteer in the event of family separation, divorce or other event and to advise BCARN of which party the Bulldog will be living with and any changes in personal and contact information.
- In the event the Adopter is no longer able to keep the Bulldog, it is the Adopter’s responsibility to return the Bulldog to a BCARN-authorized Volunteer. The Adopter understands that BCARN may not be in a position to take the Bulldog into foster care immediately. It will be the Adopter’s responsibility to care for the Bulldog properly or obtain veterinary or other approved boarding at the Adopter’s expense until BCARN can accept the dog back into the rescue. The Adopter agrees to transport or pay for transportation to the Volunteer if so requested.
- All photographs or text related to the ongoing life of the Bulldog that are provided to a BCARN Volunteer will be the property of BCARN, Inc. The Adopter will not claim copyright or other ownership of these materials, unless agreed otherwise for an individual photograph or verbal or written update.
Waiver of Liability
- The BCARN Volunteer agrees to provide initial and ongoing instructions regarding care as well as health records.
- The Bulldog has been spayed or neutered prior to placement. ___ (check if true)
Or see attached agreement. ____ (check if applicable)
- In the event that the Adopter cannot keep the Bulldog, BCARN agrees to accept the Bulldog back into foster and rescue care. The BCARN Volunteer agrees to make an effort to accept the Bulldog promptly upon notice from the Adopter. Nonetheless, it will be the Adopter’s responsibility to care for the Bulldog properly or pay for veterinary or other approved boarding at Adopter's expense until BCARN can accept the Bulldog back into the rescue.
BCARN will not knowingly place a dog with an unsound temperament, but no one can predict how any dog will react in a given situation. Adopters are strongly urged to use caution when introducing a rescue dog to new situations. BCARN makes no claims, representations or warranties regarding the current or future health, temperament or behavior of the rescued Bulldog. BCARN will not be liable for any damage caused by the Bulldog once the Bulldog is in the possession of the Adopter.
The parties agree that failure by the Adopter to honor the duties of this contract will result in liquidated damages of $1000.00 payable to the BCARN Volunteer from whom the Bulldog was adopted. All legal fees and court costs necessary to enforce this contract or recover damages suffered by BCARN will be the obligation of the Adopter.
This is an integrated contract: all promises, discussions or information exchange that are not written into this contract are void when this contract is signed. The parties agree that failure by either party to enforce one part of the contract will not affect the enforceability of any other part. This contract cannot be sold, assigned or enforced by any other parties during the life of the Bulldog.
The Adopter agrees to pay a fee in the amount of $________________ for the care of current and future Bulldogs coming into rescue. If the Bulldog is returned within the first four weeks of adoption to the BCARN-authorized Volunteer for good reason, in the sole judgment of the BCARN Volunteer, the fee will be refunded in full. After this period of time no monies will be refunded.
Informational only -- Not valid without required signatures.